Monday, February 16, 2009

Trying to get rid of the "GHOST"

Had help from Scotty, of WinPatrol. I killed all running tasks of Symantec. I ran the uninstall of Ghost and it seems to work. The Ghost is being exorcised !!! Scotty tells me that another program is trying to run itself on startup. But that's ok, because its the Ghost that says I must reboot for a complete uninstall. Saving this post and rebooting...

...rebooted...

Am trying to re-install Ghost. It still gets stuck on the install. The status bar isn't moving. But I do see it in the program files.

[later]

Well, even though the Ghost got stuck, it still showed up in Program Files. So I ran it. Lo and behold, it worked. I backed up a small folder just to try it out. Anyway, the advantage of Ghost is at least Symantec has online chat with a live person to help you. I didnt use it yet as I was off to do something else offline.

First impression: The Acronis interface seems much nicer. The Ghost interface seems dated, but if it can do the just, it doesn't matter. I'll try it again soon. It's late now...and if there's one thing I've learned: never do backups late in the day because they take too long to do and you have to babysit them (answering the prompts...just like a baby).

No comments:

Post a Comment